Hunger Games

1/23/2013 06:59:00 PM sendtheroths 0 Comments


We began our drive from Orlando, Fla. to Los Angeles, Cali. this week: a two-month tour across the United States to share the Congo vision.

It all started last October, when Andrew and I (Amethyst) were praying.

Go to California.

Andrew doing logistics in our traveling office: Starbucks.
It started as an idea and matured into a pronouncement, which became a reality in the New Year. We have about ten strong contacts in areas like Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado and California. This group of laborers in varying locations have acted as outposts for us along the way, connecting us with varying ministries and businesses as we go through each area.

Our job is to show up, prayed up and fired up to share the Message and the vision.

November and December between balancing budgets, connecting with Florida churches and holiday parties, we have arranged the logistics for this mini-adventure.

Now we are on our way.

A Game that Requires a Life Given
Our return to the United States has been edifying and fruitful. On the same token, it’s also been melancholy and lonely. We meet new people everyday and reunions with old friends seem less candid—less binding.

High school graduation was like a pistol shot in the air to indicate the beginning of a race: a race that Paul talked about in 1 Corinthians 9: the race of faith. When I graduated from high school five years ago, I ran like I was in the Hunger Games.

I ran so hard that I didn’t look left or right. I ran so hard that I didn’t listen for footsteps behind me. I glanced around this year for the first time to find that I’m running almost alone. Few who I started with are near me. Where are my competitors? Where are my comrades? Where the ---- did everyone go?

Life choices, lifestyles and philosophical differences have led loved ones down vast winding roads and others have taken completely different directions, others linger down a path of nothing, wandering like souls in a graveyard.

I just know that my idealisms are being refined by the sometimes harsher realities of discipleship. It has a cost and it's not a club. It's heavy, it's lonely and requires one to fall in love with the unfamiliar, with strangers and with the seemingly unlovely.

But its reward is ministry, which are the sweet souls transformed and renewed in Christ. Its fate is justice, which Jesus will bring in the Second Coming. And its crown is wisdom, which brings riches indescribable. It's so worth it.

All it requires is hunger.

I'm in!


0 comments :